7.18.2011

Favorite Things: Duck Tape

In looking over the little guy's school projects from this past year, I couldn't help but notice a common theme: duck tape.



This utilitarian and multipurpose hardware staple has been a favorite of mine since elementary school. I remember my dream of fashioning a retro-looking dress out of it after watching Molly Ringwald come up with the Coolest Prom Dress Ever in the movie Pretty in Pink. Back then, the colors were limited to black, gray and white. Now there are endless colors, prints and patterns available with cool tutorials on making everything from flip flops to hats.


The following pictures show my oldest niece crafting a small project bag for her favorite knitting aunt.




Just perfect for a pair of socks in progress

7 comments:

  1. Love the bag!! Very cool. Do you know I went to get duct tape to fix a deck chair that the plastic straps broke and couldn't find green in the store, but they had plenty of neon, zebra strips, peace signs and flames?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable! Pretty sure there are not many things that cannot either be made with or repaired by duct tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a nurse my relationship with tape goes way back. The motto on my old unit is "if it can't be fixed with tape, it can't be fixed" : )
    I never knew duct tape came in so many cool colours and patterns! I am definitely going to have to get some to add to our craft cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! I knew it came in fun colours now, but I didn't know it came in houndstooth. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too fun -- my daughter just made that same bag, or close enough to be a sibling of it, using that same shade of blue but with a black/white zebra print. She uses it as a knitting bag, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great that you are keeping the kids busy with all those crafty activities. The tape defiinitely has a million and 1 uses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite engineer sayings, "If you can't duck it, [insert rhyming expletive here] it," as a way of saying if it can't be fixed with duck tape it's too far gone. You've taken it to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete

I would ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ to hear from you!