9.27.2013

starting point



What I learned after spinning my first skein:

* Relax. I was so nervous about not getting enough twist in the yarn that I overcompensated and ended up with lots of twisty bits.
* Don't fight the fiber. Let it spin into the yarn it wants to become.
* Embrace the imperfections. The charm of handspun yarn is its quirkiness. I love the fact that even after a long soak, there are still bits of hay to be found. I adore the thick/thin uneven mess that makes a newbie spinner's yarn so different from commercially made yarn.
* Be a turtle. In other words, don't be in too much of a rush to know everything all at once. Spinning is like knitting: you can happily spend a lifetime at it and still have lots of things to learn. Beginning a new craft is like learning a new language. It can easily get too overwhelming. Go slow and enjoy the process, but....
* Use the product. Otherwise, there is a very real danger of building up another stash!

So, taking my own advice, I decided to knit something special with this novice skein.
 

There was just enough yarn to make three heart ornaments. One for the little guy, my hubby and me. Mine has the fiber label tucked inside. Also made a little yarnball ornament with the last remaining bits. Still need to stick in some miniature knitting needles.


Have a happy weekend!



(linking up with FO Friday)

11 comments:

  1. Om nom nom, spinning! I have my first professional spinning lesson on Saturday, can't wait. Can I recommend you get a box frame and put your heart in it? I framed my first swatch knitted out of my first ever yarn, two years ago, and everytime I walk past it hanging near my craft desk it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh so cool! I think I oohed and aahed over your skein in the last post, so let me drool over those cute ornaments now :) are you planning to put them on your christmas tree? They look so cute and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like Your blog so much that I added it to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made something with your first handspun! Those ornaments will look so pretty on your Christmas tree. I decided to save my first skein as a memento but now I still have my second and my third... Uh oh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice! It look me a while to master some of those concepts, but once I did, oh! The handspun I made!

    The ornaments are super-cute and just perfect for your first-ever skein of handspun yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. and now you are even.....so time to buy more fleece???? love the little ornaments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I haven't done anything with my practice skeins. And have no idea where they are now! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I would ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ to hear from you!